Great news, you can reactivate your account in any of our 6 offices in Achill, Balla, Ballyhaunis, Castlebar, Kiltimagh and Swinford.

If you wish to talk to a member of staff you can call us on 094 9022969 or email

Can’t make it in and have a query regarding updating your account remotely, please email

How does an account become dormant?

The rules under which First Choice Credit Union operates require that inactive Member accounts are marked as Dormant. This is due to inactivity on the account for the last three years and in line with Rule 19 of the Standard Rules for Credit Unions (ROI). If we do not hear from you, your account will be reclassified as Dormant. These savings remain the property of the member.

What happens when your account is made Dormant?

Your account will be classified as Dormant, not Closed. Your shares/savings are still in your account, and you will continue to earn any dividend annually on them, however, you will not be able to make any deposits to or withdrawals from the account.

What do I do now?

You have the following two options:


  1. To reactivate or close your account please bring along Proof of Identity* and Proof of Address** to your local credit union branch.
  2. If you have moved area and wish to transfer to a Credit Union closer to your current residence, you can contact your nearest Credit Union to make the transfer.


In order to comply with the Criminal Justice (Money Laundering & Terrorist Financing) Act, 2010, First Choice Credit Union is required to establish the identity and verify the permanent residential address of all its members.

*Acceptable Proof of Identity

  • Current Valid Passport
  • Current Valid Passport Card
  • Current Valid Driving Licence (EU or UK)
  • Current EU National Identity Card

Unfortunately, we cannot accept the PSC (Public Service Card) as proof of Identification.

**Acceptable Proof of Address

  • Utility Bill (e.g. telephone, gas or electricity)
  • Bank Account Statement
  • Credit Card Statement
  • Original Insurance Documents (health, household or motor)
  • Revenue Correspondence
  • Social Protection Correspondence
  • Correspondence from a Government Department
  • Valid Driving Licence (if not already used as Proof of Identity)

† Correspondence must be dated within the last 6 months

Members must also provide proof of PPS number through the production of one of the following: –

  • Payslip, P60 or P45
  • Correspondence from Revenue
  • Correspondence from the Department of Social Protection