With so many people now shopping online due to the Covid-19 outbreak, hackers and scammers are always looking for new ways to scam and take advantage of people. We’ve recently been informed of Fake Website Scams doing the rounds and we ask all to check out the below top tips from FraudSMART.ie and to stay vigilant, especially when it comes to ‘Shopping Online’.
Fraud Awareness – Top Tips this week!
- Exercise caution when purchasing online ensuring you are protecting your personal information
- Research as much as you can about the retailer before your purchase anything from them
- Avoid deceptive websites when purchasing online, copycat sites often pose as legitimate entities but are set up to take your personal information – research the website independently via google, boards.ie & social media
- Look for the padlock or https – secure sites will display this at the checkout stage
- Do not click on links or pop up’s or ads you received via email or SMS, that state you have won a prize or similar requesting you to enter your debit card details.
For further information relating to scams, both online and offline, and what you can do to protect yourself, check out FraudSMART.ie.