How to become a member
You can become a member of First Choice Credit Union if you LIVE, WORK or your family home is within the Castlebar, Balla, Ballyhaunis or Achill Common Bond area. Simply drop into any of our branch offices and we will be delighted to take you through the membership process.
What you need to open an account
- Photographic identification (A Valid Passport, Drivers Licence or Official Identity Card)
- Proof of address (Utility Bill, Original Bank Statement – within 6 months)
- PPSN number (PPSN Card, Payslip, P60, Revenue Document)
- Entrance fee and minimum membership amount – €11 in total
You are never too young to start saving with your Credit Union. Simply drop into the office to open your account, and get some Credit Union Goodies. If you are under 7, get your parents to come along and open the account for you*.
*In both cases proof of ID & Address will be required for the parent / guardian.
Benefits of Membership
- Loan protection and life savings insurance at no cost to the members.
- No hidden fees or charges.
- Savings held with First Choice Credit Union are protected by both the ILCU savings protection scheme as well as the Government Deposit Guarantee Scheme.
- When you become a member of First Choice Credit Union and start saving with us you will have access to fair and reasonable rates of savings and loans. So whatever your plans for the future we will always give you a fair deal.
- Did you know if you already have full membership with First Choice Credit Union, a member of your household, living at your address, can also qualify for full membership.
- We offer a super personal service with fully qualified staff members available to provide you with expert financial advise.
Frequently asked questions
What is a credit union?
A financial co-operative, owned and controlled by its members, for its members.
Why do credit unions exist?
To service the financial needs of your community, on a not-for-profit basis, and to retain members’ savings in your community for the benefit of all the members.
Who owns a credit union?
The members own the credit union
Who runs First Choice Credit Union?
First Choice Credit Union is run by a voluntary board of directors who are elected by members at First Choice Credit Union AGM.
How much do I need to have in my account to be a member?
To be considered an active or full member you must have at least €10.00 in your share account.
What is the common bond?
A common bond defines the area within which the credit union can operate. People living or working within the common bond are eligible to join the credit union.
What exactly are Credit Union Shares?
All savings are called Shares in First Choice Credit Union. Each share represents €1 in value. So if a member has €20,000 saved, they in effect, hold 20,000 shares. Each year-end, the credit union pays a Dividend on the shares held by each member throughout the year. This dividend is credited into the members share account.
Do I have to save?
Members are encouraged to continue saving at all times, even when repaying a loan. When you save on a regular basis no matter how small the amount, you will be surprised how quickly your savings/shares can grow. Remember your savings/shares and your loan are protected by Loan Protection/Life Savings Insurance (LP/LS) at no extra cost.
For a full list of our Account Terms & Conditions please click the below image.